2 soldiers killed, as many injured as anti-terror ops in J&K’s Kulgam enters 9th day

Srinagar, Aug 9: Two Army soldiers were killed and as many injured in an overnight gunfight with terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kulgam district, in one of the longest anti-terror operations in the Valley that entered the ninth day on Saturday, officials said.

The Army’s Srinagar-based Chinar Corps, in a post on X, paid tributes to the soldiers killed in the encounter and said that the operation was still underway.

Two terrorists have been killed in the encounter that began on August 1 after security forces launched a cordon and search operation in a forest at Akhal in the south Kashmir district, following specific intelligence inputs about the presence of terrorists there.

The identity and the group affiliation of the slain terrorists have not been ascertained so far.

In a post on X on Saturday, the Chinar Corps said, “Chinar Corps honours the supreme sacrifice of the Bravehearts, L/Nk Pritpal Singh and Sep Harminder Singh, in line of duty for the Nation. Their courage and dedication will forever inspire us.”

The Army said it stands in solidarity with the bereaved families. “The operation continues,” it added.

Officials said two other soldiers were injured in the overnight firing, taking the number of injured security forces personnel to nine.

Senior police and Army officers, including the Jammu and Kashmir Police chief Nalin Prabhat, and the Army’s Northern Commander Lt Gen Pratik Sharma, are closely monitoring the operation round-the-clock, officials said.

Security forces have pressed drones and helicopters into service to track the terrorists down in the forest area. Para commandos were also assisting the security forces in neutralising the hiding ultras. (PTI)

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

First-ever state record of moth species documented in Ri-Bhoi

ROOPAK GOSWAMI Shillong, Feb 20: In a significant addition to...

BJP Meghalaya mourns passing of Syngkon

Shillong, Feb 20: The state Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)...

PM Modi holds roundtable with 16 heads of AI, deeptech startups

New Delhi, Feb 20: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on...

VPP leader expresses hope for change ‘political mindset’  

Ardent Basaiawmoit clarifies on missing House session to pay...

Leaders pay tributes to Dr Syngkon in Assembly

Shillong, Feb 20: Tributes poured in for Shillong MP...

NEHU VC, staff mourn loss of Dr Ricky AJ Syngkon

Shillong, Feb 20: North Eastern Hill University (NEHU) Vice...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories