44 stranded tourists evacuated from landslide-hit Chaten in north Sikkim

Gangtok, Jun 6: A total of 44 stranded tourists were evacuated from Chaten in north Sikkim on Friday, bringing to a close the rescue efforts of people stuck in the landslide-hit area for the day, officials said.

The rescue efforts resumed in the morning, with helicopters airlifting the stranded tourists from Chaten, they said.

Aerial view of Chhaten landslide

“A total of 44 people have been evacuated from Chaten, north Sikkim, today through multiple sorties by helicopters,” an official said.

Among those evacuated, 17 are local residents, he said.

“With the successful completion of this round, all stranded tourists have now been evacuated from Chaten. Following this, the evacuation operation has officially been called off for the day,” the official said.

The state government had earlier said that 64 people were awaiting evacuation in Chaten.

All evacuees have been safely brought to Greenfield Airport, Pakyong, from where they will be taken to Gangtok by bus, he said.

Arrangements will also be made to bring back local residents who may still be stranded in the area, the official said.

The administration continues to monitor the situation and remains committed to extending all necessary support to the disaster-hit region and its people, he said.

advertisement

Altogether, 63 stranded people, mostly tourists, were on Thursday evacuated by helicopters from Chaten, which was hit by a landslide earlier this week, the officials said.

The evacuation operation was called off due to inclement weather and challenging terrain on Thursday.

Three army personnel were killed, six soldiers went missing and several others were injured after a landslide hit a military camp at Chaten on the evening of June 1. Efforts are underway to locate the missing soldiers.(PTI)

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

First-ever state record of moth species documented in Ri-Bhoi

ROOPAK GOSWAMI Shillong, Feb 20: In a significant addition to...

BJP Meghalaya mourns passing of Syngkon

Shillong, Feb 20: The state Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)...

PM Modi holds roundtable with 16 heads of AI, deeptech startups

New Delhi, Feb 20: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on...

VPP leader expresses hope for change ‘political mindset’  

Ardent Basaiawmoit clarifies on missing House session to pay...

Leaders pay tributes to Dr Syngkon in Assembly

Shillong, Feb 20: Tributes poured in for Shillong MP...

NEHU VC, staff mourn loss of Dr Ricky AJ Syngkon

Shillong, Feb 20: North Eastern Hill University (NEHU) Vice...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories