Mizoram: Opposition MLAs, student body blame Assam Rifles for halting minister’s convoy

Aizawl, Oct 19: Mizoram opposition MLAs and a student body on Friday blamed the Assam Rifles for allegedly stopping a minister’s car and convoy during routine checking near Aizawl on Thursday.

State Power and Electricity Minister F Rodingliana claimed that his car and carcade were stopped by personnel of the Assam Rifles on the outskirts of Aizawl, while he was returning home from Champhai on Thursday.

The Assam Rifles denied the allegation, maintaining that it halted on its own despite giving clear passage.

The legislature party of the main opposition, Mizo National Front (MNF), said in a statement that Assam Rifles troopers “misbehaved” with the minister, who had been disturbed and delayed for a long time on his way back home after executing his official duty.

“The MNF legislature party strongly blames the paramilitary force for its mischievous act and regards the incident as an insult to the Mizo community and democracy,” it said.

The opposition MLAs also urged the state government to fulfil its responsibilities in protecting the Mizo community and democracy.

Lone Congress legislator C Ngunlianchunga and party president Lal Thanzara also blamed the Assam Rifles and termed the incident “unfortunate.”

The two Congress leaders in their public speech on Friday, demanded that the matter be investigated and asked the paramilitary force to reveal publicly the reason behind troubling the power minister.

State apex student body, Mizo Zirlai Pawl (MZP) and the youth wing of the ruling Zoram People’s Movement (ZPM) said that they took the matter seriously and termed the action of Assam Rifles as an insult to the Mizo people, who elected the minister as their representative.

During a meeting on Friday, the MZP passed resolutions, demanding the authority concerned to investigate the matter.

The student body also said it will write to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) over the incident.

Rodingliana had on Thursday said the security force set up a barricade on the NH-54 between Aizawl and Tuirial, and intercepted his convoy.

“A few metres after we passed the barricade, three personnel stopped us stating that they were told to do so by their commander,” Rodinglianan had told PTI.

The Assam Rifles claimed that it had set up a mobile checkpost about 4 km from its Zokhawsang base on Aizawl-Seiling road, and the minister’s convoy was given a clear passage during checking.(PTI)

Hot this week

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Tripura CM lays foundation stone for new hospital in Agartala

Agartala, Apr 4: Tripura Chief Minister Manik Saha on...

Formal transfer of land vacated by Assam Rifles to Mizoram govt in April end: CM

Aizawl, Apr 4: Mizoram Chief Minister Lalduhoma on Thursday...

12 left out communities in Sikkim will get ST status in due course: CM

Gangtok, Apr 4: Sikkim Chief Minister Prem Singh Tamang...

Suchiang takes oath as CIC

Shillong, Apr 3: Former Chief Secretary RV Suchiang was...

SSLC results on April 5

Shillong, Apr 4: The results of the Secondary School...

Doctor, two others get prison terms in POCSO cases

Shillong, Apr 4: A 58-year-old doctor and two others...

Gram Sabha held at Chokpot 

Baghmara, Apr 4: The first Gram Sabha Cum Convergence...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img