We are not going to take any risk, high time NCA gives clarity on Shami’s fitness: Rohit

Brisbane, Dec 18: India captain Rohit Sharma on Wednesday said it is high time the NCA provides clarity on Mohammed Shami’s fitness, emphasising that he won’t risk fielding the pacer in the ongoing Border Gavaskar series until they are sure of his condition.

Shami made his comeback from injury during the recently-concluded Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy and has also been named in Bengal’s squad for the Vijay Hazare Trophy, starting Saturday.

“It’s high time somebody from NCA talks about him. Really, that’s our National Cricket Academy where he is doing his rehab. Those guys are the ones who need to come up and give us some kind of update,” Rohit said during the post-match press conference.

Following the pink ball Test in Adelaide, Rohit had revealed that Shami had developed swelling in his knees while playing in SMAT.

“But look, I understand he’s playing a lot of cricket back home. But there have been some complaints about his knee as well. So, the last thing you want is the player coming here and then pulling out in the middle of the game. You know what happens when that kind of thing happens.

“So, there’s no way we want to take that chance. Unless we are not 100%, 200% sure, we are not going to take any risk,” he added.

The 34-year-old Shami, who last played for India in the ODI World Cup final in November 2023, was forced into the long layoff due to an ankle injury that needed surgery.

Just before his much-anticipated comeback against New Zealand, he developed swelling in the knee, delaying his return.

Rohit said the door remains open for Shami if he is completely fit.

“Like I said in the last press conference, the door is open. If those guys at the NCA feel that he is okay to go and recover and play, we’ll be happy to have him,” said Rohit.

Last week a BCCI official had told PTI that Shami himself feels he is not ready to take the rigours of red ball cricket right now.

“The swelling seems to come and go. He himself is keen on playing more and more domestic cricket. He can then bowl at least three spells and 10 overs per game,” the BCCI source had said. (PTI)

Hot this week

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Tripura CM lays foundation stone for new hospital in Agartala

Agartala, Apr 4: Tripura Chief Minister Manik Saha on...

Formal transfer of land vacated by Assam Rifles to Mizoram govt in April end: CM

Aizawl, Apr 4: Mizoram Chief Minister Lalduhoma on Thursday...

12 left out communities in Sikkim will get ST status in due course: CM

Gangtok, Apr 4: Sikkim Chief Minister Prem Singh Tamang...

Suchiang takes oath as CIC

Shillong, Apr 3: Former Chief Secretary RV Suchiang was...

SSLC results on April 5

Shillong, Apr 4: The results of the Secondary School...

Doctor, two others get prison terms in POCSO cases

Shillong, Apr 4: A 58-year-old doctor and two others...

Gram Sabha held at Chokpot 

Baghmara, Apr 4: The first Gram Sabha Cum Convergence...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img