PM, Education minister must be held accountable for ‘cover up’: Cong on NTA claims on NEET exam

New Delhi, May 22: The Congress on Friday said it was shocked over claims made by top NTA officials that the NEET exam paper was “not leaked”, and said both the ‘Pradhan Mantri’ and the ‘Mantri Pradhan’ must be held accountable for this “cover-up”.

The Congress also said that the National Testing Agency (NTA) has become a “National Trauma Agency” and accused the government of colluding with the paper leak mafia to suppress the truth of irregularities and fraud.

In a post on X, Congress general secretary in-charge of communications Jairam Ramesh said a “guess paper” featuring questions that appeared in the actual exam was circulating among students much before the exam date.

“Since the NTA was formed in 2018, the Modi Government and its ecosystem have been colluding with the paper leak mafia to suppress the truth of rampant irregularities and fraud in NTA-conducted exams,” he alleged in his post.

“Today we have learnt from media reports that the NTA Director General claimed yesterday to a Parliamentary Committee that the NEET-UG 2026 exam was not leaked.

If true, this is scandalous and shockingly dishonest – because it is clear that a ‘guess paper’ which featured dozens of questions that appeared in the actual exam was circulating among students much before the exam date. If that is not a leak, what is? Why is the Modi Government trying to deny it now?” Ramesh said.

He alleged the Modi government had previously tried to “cover up” the widespread irregularities that had emerged in NEET-UG 2024 as well.

“If it had faced up to the truth and taken action then, the NEET 2026 tragedy may have been avoided. The same hotspots of reported fraud which emerged in 2024 — like Rajasthan’s Sikar — have been implicated in the 2026 scandal as well,” he said.

The Congress leader said in another episode of the same “disturbing series”, the CBI also filed a closure report alleging no irregularities in the UGC-NET exam of 2024 which had been cancelled by the NTA back then.

When asked by a Delhi court to provide a written explanation for its closure report, the CBI has asked for more time, he said.

“While the Court has thankfully pulled up the CBI for this delay, the CBI’s actions inspire no confidence in the agency’s motivation to do justice to its ongoing probes into NEET.

“For the lakhs of aspiring youth of our country, the NTA has become the National Trauma Agency,” Ramesh said.

The CBSE, NCERT, and other institutions of the Education Ministry (including Central Universities) are no better, he said.

“The Education Minister is presiding over a system in which professional excellence is at a discount and where ideological affinity commands a premium,” he claimed.

“Both the Pradhan Mantri and the Mantri Pradhan must be held accountable for this colossal tragedy and its ongoing cover-up,” Ramesh said.

Several members of Parliament grilled top NTA officials on Thursday, with the agency’s director general telling them that the NEET-UG paper was not leaked through their system and the CBI is probing the matter, sources said.

During a meeting of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Education, Women, Children, Youth and Sports, several MPs questioned the NTA officials on the steps taken by them to strengthen the exam system in order to prevent paper leaks in the future. (PTI)

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Assam cabbies resent ‘selective attacks’, block Meghalaya vehicles

Guwahati, Aug 20: Traffic between Assam and Meghalaya was...

Drivers’ body urges state to avoid deploying govt vehicles in vulnerable areas

Shillong, Aug 20: The Meghalaya Government Drivers' Welfare Association...

Govt assures safety of citizens, tourists  

5 companies of central forces deployed in city   Shillong, Aug...

Admin rejects KSU’s ‘miscreants hijacked rally’ claim 

'Masked individuals armed with sticks, rods were seen at...

Civil society groups condemn Shillong violence

‘Terror has no place in Shillong’ Shillong, Aug 20: Speaking...

15 FIRs lodged, manhunt on for suspected bikers

Shillong, Aug 20: The state police have registered 15...

KSU denied permission for sit-in protest

Shillong, August 20: The East Khasi Hills district administration...

Situation under control, no need of night curfew: Tynsong 

‘Traffic disruption on Shillong-Guwahati highway resolved’   Shillong, Aug 20: Deputy...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories