Bihar SIR: EC gets about 2 lakh pleas for removal of names from voters’ list; 30,000 for inclusion

New Delhi, Aug 30: The Election Commission on Saturday said it has received as many as 1.98 lakh pleas from individuals for exclusion of names from the voters’ list being prepared as part of the Special Intensive Revision of electoral rolls in Bihar.

On the other hand, nearly 30,000 pleas were received for inclusion of names, it said.

The draft electoral rolls were published on August 1 and will remain open for “claims and objections” by individuals and political parties till September 1.

Under the election laws, people and parties have the right to challenge inclusion of names they think are ineligible in the draft roll. Similarly, people who think they are eligible but have been left out can also seek inclusion.

The final electoral roll for Bihar, which is likely to go for polls in November, will be published on September 30.

Booth-level agents appointed by political parties have so far filed 25 claims for inclusion and 103 for exclusion from the draft list of Bihar voters.

According to the Election Commission, 99.11 per cent of the 7.24 crore electors of the state have so far submitted their documents for verification.

The Supreme Court has asked the poll panel to accept Aadhaar card or any of the 11 listed documents from people seeking inclusion in the voters’ list.

The Election Commission has asked the apex court to repose faith in it on carrying out the Special Intensive Revision in poll-bound Bihar. (PTI)

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

USTM holds orientation for PhD scholars

Shillong, Aug 30: The University of Science & Technology...

KSU detects 22 ‘illegal migrants’ 

Shillong, Aug 30: KSU activists have launched a “document...

Constituency visit: Conrad interacts with residents at Sampalgre

Tura, Aug 30: Chief minister Conrad K Sangma on...

Assam cop arrested for sexual assault on minor

Shillong, Aug 30: An Assam policeman was arrested for...

J&K will get back its statehood soon: Athawale

Srinagar, Aug 30: Union Minister of State (MoS) Ramdas...

Indo-China Dynamics: From Standoff to Stability

By Satyabrat Borah In the intricate tapestry of global geopolitics,...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories