Former Lanka player Dulip Samaraweera banned from coaching in Australia for 20 years

Melbourne, Sept 19: Former Sri Lankan Test cricketer Dulip Samaraweera, who was working as Victoria’s women’s team coach, has been banned for 20 years by the country’s board after being found guilty of breaching its code of conduct with “utterly reprehensible” behaviour during his stint with the side.

Samaraweera, who played seven Tests and five ODIs for Sri Lanka and first joined Cricket Victoria as a batting coach in 2008, was banned following an investigation by Cricket Australia’s Integrity Department.

According to cricket.com.au, the 52-year-old will not be allowed to hold any position in the cricketing set-up Down Under for the next two decades.

Samaraweera was found to be in “serious breach” of clause 2.23 of the CA’s Code of Conduct, which concerns conduct “contrary to the spirit of cricket, is unbecoming of a representative or official, is or could be harmful to the interests of cricket, or does or could bring the game of cricket into disrepute”.

In a statement, Cricket Victoria CEO Nick Cummins backed the ban and lauded the victim for pursuing her case.

He did not give the specifics of the incident that led to this outcome but a ‘Sydney Morning Herald’ report, quoting sources, said the Sri Lankan was accused of “coercive relationship with a player”.

“It is our view that the conduct was utterly reprehensible and a betrayal of everything we stand for at Cricket Victoria,” Cummins said.

“The victim in this case has demonstrated incredible strength of character and courage in speaking up. She will continue to receive our ongoing support to allow her to achieve her goals on and off the field,” he added.

Samaraweera, who is yet to react to the verdict, was appointed interim head coach of the team in November last year before taking the position full-time in May this year. He resigned within two weeks of that elevation. He was also an assistant coach with Women’s Big Bash League side Melbourne Stars.

The Australian Cricketers’ Association supported CA’s verdict.

“These are extremely serious findings that may shock and upset many in the cricket community,” said chief executive Todd Greenberg. (PTI)

Hot this week

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

POEM-4 re-enters Earth’s atmosphere: ISRO

Bengaluru, Apr 5: ISRO on Friday said the fourth...

HC upholds repeal of varsity Act

Shillong, Apr 5: The Meghalaya High Court on Friday...

Over 13,000 ST students get post matric scholarships

Shillong, Apr 5: Over 13,000 Schedule Tribe (ST) students...

Approach life as a ‘marathon’, Conrad tells IIM graduates

Shillong, Apr 5: Chief minister Conrad K Sangma has...

More villages to be adopted as ‘textile hubs’: Paul

Shillong, Apr 5: The state government has taken an...

LSG beat MI by 12 runs: Pandya’s maiden five-wicket haul in T20 cricket goes in vain

Lucknow, Apr 4: Hardik Pandya's maiden five-wicket haul in...

7 dead as tractor falls into deep well

Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar, Apr 4: Seven women farm labourers, two...

PM Modi meets Yunus, flags concerns over safety of minorities in B’desh

Bangkok, Apr 4: In his first meeting with Bangladesh's...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img