India calls upon Moscow to release 27 more Indians

New Delhi, Sept 26: India has called upon Russia to release 27 more Indian nationals who were recently recruited into the Russian military.

Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal on Friday said New Delhi has come to know that more Indians are working with the Russian military, with new inputs coming from their families.

“As per our information, 27 Indian nationals are presently serving in the Russian army. We are also in close touch with their family members in the matter,” Jaiswal said at his weekly media briefing.

“We once again strongly urge all Indian nationals to stay away from the offers being made to serve in the Russian army as they are fraught with danger and risk to life,” he added.

Jaiswal said India has strongly taken up the matter with Russian authorities.

“We have strongly raised this matter with Russian authorities in Moscow and with the Russian embassy in New Delhi, and asked for them to be freed as soon as possible,” he said.

“We are trying to get them out,” he said.

There have been reports that some Indians on student and business visas were forced into joining Russian military units deployed on the frontlines of the war in Ukraine. India has been repeatedly asking Russia to release all Indians serving as support staff, such as cooks and helpers, with Russian military units.

The issue was raised by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his visit to Russia last year as well.

According to official data, the number of Indians recruited by the Russian military is now more than 150.

At least 12 Indians were killed while fighting on the frontlines of the conflict in Ukraine, while 96 were discharged by Russian authorities.

Another 16 have been listed as missing. (PTI)

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Post-matric scholarship released to 70,000 students  

Govt releases scholarship from own sources pending Central grant   Verification...

HC orders police protection for Sohra resort owner

Shillong, Nov 29: The Meghalaya High Court has ordered...

Puskas Arena ready for the Champions league Final

Prarthana Hazarika Budapest, Nov 29: When I received an official...

Praneel Sharma wins twin titles at ITF World Junior Tennis Tour

New Delhi, Nov 29: Praneel Sharma completed a memorable...

India in 2047 will be superpower: Ex-ISRO chief Somnath

Dehradun, Nov 29 : Former ISRO Chairman S Somnath...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories