Kuki protesters, forces clash in Manipur, 1 killed  

Kuki Zo Council calls indefinite shutdown opposing ‘free movement’ initiative  

Imphal, Mar 9: A protester was killed while 25 others, including women, were injured in clashes between Kuki demonstrators and security forces in different parts of Manipur’s Kangpokpi district on Saturday, officials said.

The deceased has been identified as Lalgouthang Singsit. The 30-year-old received bullet injuries during the clashes at Keithelmanbi and died on the way to hospital, police said.

At least 25 protesters sustained different types of injuries during the clashes with security forces at Gamgiphai, Motbung and Keithelmanbi, police said, adding they have been admitted to the nearby public health centre for treatment.

Clashes erupted between demonstrators and security forces in the Kuki-dominated district after police fired tear gas to disperse them, as they opposed Union Home Minister Amit Shah’s directive allowing free movement across the state.

The situation worsened when protesters set fire to private vehicles and attempted to stop a state transport bus traveling from Imphal to Senapati district.

Protesters also blocked NH-2 (Imphal-Dimapur highway) and burned tyres to obstruct movement of government vehicles.

The protest was also directed against a peace march by the Federation of Civil Society (FOCS), a Meitei organisation.

The march, involving over 10 vehicles, was halted by security forces at Sekmai before it could reach Kangpokpi district.

Police claimed they had been told to stop the march as they did not have permission.

“We are just following orders. We have been told to stop the march. If they want to go, they can go in the state buses arranged by the government,” a policeman said.

However, FOCS members objected saying they were just following what Shah’s instruction allowing free movement across the state from Saturday.

A purported video released by Kuki-Zo village volunteers group from an undisclosed location said it was against the government of India’s decision regarding free movement and demanded a separate administration. The authenticity of the video could not be corroborated by PTI.

“Any attempt to enter our areas will be met with strong resistance. No free movement before separate administration” a volunteer was heard saying in the video.

Opposing the free movement initiative, the Kuki Zo Council has imposed an indefinite shutdown in all Kuki-Zo areas from Saturday midnight, a statement said.

“It is crucial for the central government to address the underlying issues to prevent further unrest and protect public safety. The Kuki-Zo Council urges the government to reconsider its stance to avoid further escalation of tension and violent confrontation,” it added.

The council also stated, “We cannot guarantee free movement of Meiteis across buffer zones and cannot take responsibility for any untoward incidents.” (PTI) 

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Heavy rains, cloudbursts hit Uttarakhand; several people trapped, houses damaged

Dehradun, Aug 29: Heavy rains and cloudbursts wreaked havoc...

Kabul blames Pakistan for airstrikes that killed 3 people in eastern Afghanistan

Islamabad, Aug 29: Airstrikes that Afghanistan's Taliban government blamed...

Tamil actors Vishal, Sai Dhanshika get engaged

Chennai, Aug 29: Popular Tamil actor Vishal on Thursday...

India has turned into ‘oil money laundromat for Kremlin’: Trump aide

New York/Washington, Aug 29: A day after claiming that...

Conrad reviews progress on medical colleges, sports and JJM in Tura review

State to produce 550 doctors annually by 2030s Tura, Aug...

Lyles beats Olympic champion Tebogo in 200 race at Diamond League final

Zurich, Aug 29: Noah Lyles warmed up for the...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories