Man held in Meghalaya for uploading obscene content on social media

Shillong, May 20: The police on Wednesday arrested a man in Meghalaya’s East Garo Hills on the charge of sharing obscene content on social media platforms, an officer said.

The accused, a resident of Williamnagar, allegedly uploaded sexually explicit content targeting women using vulgar language.

A case has been registered against him at Williamnagar Police Station under provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and the Information Technology Act, 2000.

East Garo Hills Superintendent of Police SA Rynjah said an investigation was initiated after the authorities received information that the accused had been habitually uploading vulgar and obscene content through his Facebook account and YouTube channel.

“His recent Facebook uploads were found to be obscene,” Rynjah said.

The police officer also warned that uploading, transmitting or publishing sexually explicit material on social media platforms constitutes a cognisable offence.

“Aggrieved persons may report such matters to the police through proper channels. The National Cybercrime Reporting Portal may also be used to lodge complaints related to online obscenity, child sexual abuse material and cyber blackmail,” he said. (PTI)

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Jaishankar lays foundation stone for new Indian High Commission chancery in Singapore

Singapore, Aug 19: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on...

K’taka: Oppn disrupts Assembly proceedings demanding minister Nagrendra’s removal

Bengaluru, Aug 19: Karnataka Legislative Assembly proceedings witnessed disruptions...

No Natl Games competition at Mawkhanu stadium

Sanctioned late, stadium unlikely to be ready before Games:...

Meghalaya Cabinet moves to align private universities with UGC norms

Shillong, Aug 19: The Meghalaya Cabinet on Wednesday approved...

State’s border areas on high alert for dengue  

No alarming rise in cases along Indo-Bangla border: Shylla   Shillong,...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories