Police launch intensified probe into fossil theft in Garo Hills  

Serious loss for state and country; culprit will be caught: Rakkam Sangma  

Shillong, Jan 30: Garo Hills police have accorded top priority to investigate into the shocking theft of a rare prehistoric fossil, believed to be 35 to 40 million years old, from deep inside forest in South Garo Hills district.

The incident has already sparked an outrage and concerns over the security of heritage sites in the state.

Admitting the seriousness of the incident, cabinet minister and local MLA Rakkam A Sangma said, “This is a serious loss for both the state and the country.”

Assuring that an intensified probe has been launched into the case, Sangma said, “Police are investigating, and I assure you the culprit will be caught.”

An FIR about the incident at Tolegre village in South Garo Hills was lodged at Siju police station.

The fossil, unearthed last May by the Core Geo Expedition team after a month-long expedition, was thought to belong to the extinct Rodhocetus or Ambulocetus — early ancestors of modern whales. 

Experts from the Geological Survey of India (GSI) had examined the site, but villagers took charge of safeguarding the discovery, restricting access to outsiders.

However, despite their efforts, a portion of the fossil was cut and stolen recently. 

Meanwhile, Sangma revealed that the state government had been planning to develop the site into a museum to preserve and showcase the fossil. 

“It was a significant discovery. Geologists from abroad had shown interest in the site, and as the local MLA, I was pushing for a museum project,” he said.

Villagers had fenced off the area to protect the fossil, but the theft exposed security vulnerabilities in the remote jungle terrain.

“The site was deep in the forest. Despite the villagers’ best efforts, someone likely sneaked in through the jungle to commit the theft,” Sangma explained.

The theft has raised questions about the protection of valuable archaeological and geological finds in Meghalaya. When asked about the possibility of organized involvement, Sangma did not rule anything out.

“Theft is theft—it could be a local or an outsider. We don’t know yet,” he said.

He urged patience as the investigation continues. “These things take time. Let’s wait for further updates from the inquiry,” he added.

Hot this week

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

LSG beat MI by 12 runs: Pandya’s maiden five-wicket haul in T20 cricket goes in vain

Lucknow, Apr 4: Hardik Pandya's maiden five-wicket haul in...

7 dead as tractor falls into deep well

Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar, Apr 4: Seven women farm labourers, two...

PM Modi meets Yunus, flags concerns over safety of minorities in B’desh

Bangkok, Apr 4: In his first meeting with Bangladesh's...

Govt need to answer Centre’s queries on ILP: Paul  

‘Meghalaya being a transit route for other states a...

All-party meet on Railways soon: Govt  

‘Members of civil society, NGOs to be part of...

Centre to protect NE from external threat: Govt

Shillong, Apr 4: The state government has expressed confidence...

4 Bangla nationals, Indian tout arrested

Shillong, Apr 4: Four Bangladeshi nationals and an Indian...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img