Rajnath pitches for greater role of private sector in defence production

New Delhi, Oct 4: Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on Friday said at least 50 per cent of the country’s total defence production should come through the participation of the private sector.

Addressing an event by the Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM) here, he said the Russia-Ukraine war proved that the importance of a defence industrial base has “not lessened”, rather there is a need to expand it.

Singh underlined that India was an “import-dependent nation” earlier in the defence sector, but the country is taking strides towards defence exports.

He urged the stakeholders in the defence sector to keep seeing the export and import figures, and said with a target-oriented approach, the ratio between the two can be reduced.

“You know well our thinking and policy in the defence sector. Our government will not only continue those efforts but will endeavour to accelerate them as much as possible. Efforts to achieve self-reliance will be made more vocal, this is a firm conviction of our government,” Singh said.

The defence minister highlighted government initiatives like the corporatisation of the Ordnance Factory Board, the establishment of two industrial defence corridors, and the encouragement of private industry by the DAP to enhance the role of the private sector in defence manufacturing.

“We created an environment of ease of doing business in the country,” Singh said.

He also spoke of the “record growth” in the value of defence production in the country in 2023-24.

In July, Singh said, “India has registered the highest ever growth in the value of defence production in 2023-24. The value of production has reached Rs 1,26,887 crore in 2023-24 which is 16.8 per cent higher than the value of production of the previous financial year”.

At the SIDM event, he said, “If we look closely, then we realise that the majority share is being generated by PSUs, DPSUs, with a share of Rs 1 lakh crore, while private sector share is only about Rs 27,000 crore.”

There is a “big scope” to increase the participation of private industry in total defence production, he said.

“We wish to see it at least 50 per cent of the total defence production. It should be our target, and the government stands by you in making efforts towards achieving this,” Singh added.

In his address, he also alluded to the prolonged Russia-Ukraine war.

He said some experts have said that the form of warfare was not the same as it was before, rather it has changed.

But, this war shows that the importance of a defence industrial base has not lessened from what it was before, rather in the coming times, there will be a need to expand it, he said.

“So, the government is ready to make all efforts,” the defence minister said.

Singh also spoke of the five positive indigenisation lists (PILs), under which 509 pieces of equipment have been identified whose production will be done in India.

“This list of 509 items is not static, it is a dynamic list which should keep reducing with time. We should assess on what items in the first list, we have achieved ‘atmanirbharta’. Our efforts should be to achieve full self-reliance on these items over time, and shorten the list,” he said.

“Besides, for the defence PSUs also we released five positive indigenisation lists, under which over 5,000 such equipment have been identified which will be built in India by Indian hands,” the minister said.

This list is definitely an “aspirational benchmark” for the private sector, he said.

“This list, the work and its progress should be seen not only by the government, but you should also take a step in this direction. See for yourself, if the domestic manufacturing industry can work on these PILs. And, if any issues are there they they should be resolved,” Singh added.

It’s not about increasing the number in the PILs, if it’s not feasible then remove it. This list may have been brought to make the defence sector ‘atmanirbhar’, but ultimately this list is dedicated to you, and you have to do it, he said. (PTI)

Hot this week

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Approach life as a ‘marathon’, Conrad tells IIM graduates

Shillong, Apr 5: Chief minister Conrad K Sangma has...

More villages to be adopted as ‘textile hubs’: Paul

Shillong, Apr 5: The state government has taken an...

LSG beat MI by 12 runs: Pandya’s maiden five-wicket haul in T20 cricket goes in vain

Lucknow, Apr 4: Hardik Pandya's maiden five-wicket haul in...

7 dead as tractor falls into deep well

Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar, Apr 4: Seven women farm labourers, two...

PM Modi meets Yunus, flags concerns over safety of minorities in B’desh

Bangkok, Apr 4: In his first meeting with Bangladesh's...

Govt need to answer Centre’s queries on ILP: Paul  

‘Meghalaya being a transit route for other states a...

All-party meet on Railways soon: Govt  

‘Members of civil society, NGOs to be part of...

Centre to protect NE from external threat: Govt

Shillong, Apr 4: The state government has expressed confidence...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img