Security forces kill 27 TTP terrorists in northwest Pakistan

Peshawar, May 24: Pakistani security forces killed 27 terrorists belonging to the banned TTP in multiple operations over the weekend in the country’s northwest, officials said on Sunday.

The security forces conducted intelligence-based operations in the North Waziristan and Bannu districts of the restive Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.

Several terrorist locations were targeted during the operations in the Datta Khel area of the North Waziristan district, according to a statement issued by the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) – the media wing of the Pakistan Army.

“Following intense and fierce exchanges of fire, eleven khawarij belonging to Fitna-al-Khawarij were effectively neutralised,” the statement added.

“Fitna-al-Khawarij” is a term the state uses for the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).

Weapons and ammunition were recovered from the possession of gunned-down terrorists, ISPR said, adding that these assailants were actively involved in numerous disruptive activities in the area.

Earlier this week, the military media wing said security forces had killed 22 terrorists in the district.

In another joint operation on Sunday, police and the Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) eliminated 16 other terrorists belonging to TTP in the Bannu district.

Among those killed were two prominent TTP commanders, officials said.

Two police officers were also killed in the operation in which several terrorist hideouts were destroyed, they added.

Pakistan has witnessed a surge in terrorist attacks, especially in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan, after its ceasefire with the outlawed TTP ended in November 2022, predominantly targeting the police, law enforcement agencies’ personnel, and security forces. (PTI)

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

NSA Doval to visit China on Monday to attend Special Representatives talks with FM Wang

Beijing, Aug 23: National Security Advisor Ajit Doval is...

Couple dies in lightning strike in Chhattisgarh’s Marwahi

Marwahi (Chhattisgarh), Aug 23: A couple died after lightning...

4 injured at Yash’s ‘Toxic’ pre-release event in Hyderabad, case registered

Hyderabad, Aug 23: Four people, including a student, was...

Dhar assures of normalcy after Assam-Meghalaya talks  

‘Over 3,000 Assam-registered vehicles safely escorted to Assam’   Shillong, Aug...

Assam groups lift blockade after minister-level talks  

Protesters assured of SIT probe, compensation for injured during...

Congress raises concern over Shillong violence, border tension

Shillong, Aug 22: The Meghalaya Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC)...

Action sought on vandalism of Netaji, Vivekananda statues

Shillong, Aug 22: The Shillong Bengalee Students’ Association (SBSA)...

Restoration of peace, citizens’ safety Govt’s priority: CM  

Conrad thanks Himanta for support and cooperation   Shillong, Aug 22:...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories