‘Self-styled Vishwaguru’s stony silence’ on Israel betrayal of India’s values: Cong’s dig at PM

New Delhi, Jul 6: The “self-styled, award-hungry Vishwaguru’s stony silence” on Israel’s actions is a betrayal of India’s civilisational ethos and is simply “unconscionable”, the Congress said on Monday in a scathing attack against Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

The opposition party’s statement came after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu cited support from India, countering American Vice President J D Vance’s remarks that the US was its sole powerful ally.

“Mr Netanyahu is wrong. Undoubtedly, Israel is embedded in the Modani empire and Mr Narendra Modi is blindly devoted to him. But crores of Indians condemn Israel’s genocide in Gaza that has not spared even children, its forcible dispossession and displacement of Palestinians in the occupied West Bank, its heavy aerial bombardments of Iran that has included targeted assassinations, and its brutal military offensive in southern Lebanon. These are all assaults on humanity itself,” the Congress leader said.

“The self-styled, award-hungry Vishwaguru’s stony silence on Israel’s actions is a betrayal of India’s civilisational ethos and values. It is simply unconscionable,” Ramesh asserted.

Getting a certificate from Netanyahu is no badge of honour, especially since he himself is isolated and has evoked frustration and anger even from Mr. PM Modi’s good friend in the White House himself, Ramesh said, in an apparent reference to US President Donald Trump.

Netanyahu told the Fox News Sunday Briefing earlier that Israel has the support of many other countries, including a small country called India.

“We have some other friends, like a small country called India, you know, it has 1.4 billion people and, boy, do we have tremendous support there,” Netanyahu said.

Last month, Vance told a briefing at the White House that Israel should respect the US-Iran peace talks.

Asked about reports that Israeli leaders were unhappy with the US-Iran agreement and were criticising President Trump, Vance said, “If I was in the Cabinet of the Israeli government, I might not be attacking the only powerful ally that I have anywhere left in the entire world.”

Netanyahu said he was getting a lot of support from India on Facebook.

“You know, I have this Facebook thing, and I have overwhelming support there. I may have many others,” Netanyahu said, pushing back against Vance’s claim that Israel has no other allies. (PTI)

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Assam cabbies resent ‘selective attacks’, block Meghalaya vehicles

Guwahati, Aug 20: Traffic between Assam and Meghalaya was...

Drivers’ body urges state to avoid deploying govt vehicles in vulnerable areas

Shillong, Aug 20: The Meghalaya Government Drivers' Welfare Association...

Govt assures safety of citizens, tourists  

5 companies of central forces deployed in city   Shillong, Aug...

Admin rejects KSU’s ‘miscreants hijacked rally’ claim 

'Masked individuals armed with sticks, rods were seen at...

Civil society groups condemn Shillong violence

‘Terror has no place in Shillong’ Shillong, Aug 20: Speaking...

15 FIRs lodged, manhunt on for suspected bikers

Shillong, Aug 20: The state police have registered 15...

KSU denied permission for sit-in protest

Shillong, August 20: The East Khasi Hills district administration...

Situation under control, no need of night curfew: Tynsong 

‘Traffic disruption on Shillong-Guwahati highway resolved’   Shillong, Aug 20: Deputy...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories