Siddique murder case, 4th accused sent to police custody till Oct 21

Mumbai, Oct 15: Police on Tuesday said the fourth accused arrested for the murder of NCP leader and former Maharashtra minister Baba Siddique had provided financial help and firearms for the operation.

A court here on Tuesday remanded the fourth accused, Harishkumar Nisad (23), in police custody till October 21.

Nisad was apprehended from Bahraich, Uttar Pradesh, earlier in the day.

The police had earlier identified the fourth accused as Harishkumar Balakram.

The additional chief judicial magistrate (Esplanade Court) V R Patil, while sending the accused to police custody, noted that the “offence is serious in nature” and his presence with the probe agency “is essential for custodial interrogation”.

The crime branch informed the court that Nisad had provided money to the others involved in the crime, and a probe was necessary to find “the upper link and lower link” with regard to financial assistance.

It further stated that information about bank accounts and other modes of transactions Nisad used for financial assistance to the other accused needs to be gathered from him.

The police said they also have to ascertain how he supplied weapons used in the crime to the other arrested accused.

Police had earlier arrested Haryana resident Gurmail Baljit Singh (23), Uttar Pradesh native Dharmaraj Rajesh Kashyap (19), both alleged shooters, and “co-conspirator” Pravin Lonkar from Pune. They have been remanded in police custody till October 21.

During the remand hearing, the police told the court that Nisad and Kashyap belonged to the same village as the wanted accused, Shivkumar Gautam.

Moreover, Nisad ran a scrap shop in Pune, where the wanted accused used to reside, and further investigation is necessary to gather information about Gautam’s whereabouts, police said.

According to the police, the accused conspired and carried out the crime after conducting a recce of the victim’s residence and the crime scene.

Nisad’s lawyer, Ajay Dubey, opposed the remand plea, saying that the accused was a “victim of the circumstances and a scapegoat”.

The court heard both sides and remanded the accused in police custody. (PTI)

Hot this week

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Anti-Naxal operation must not slow down: Shah to officials

Raipur, Apr 6: Union Home Minister Amit Shah on...

Two brothers killed, seven injured as four shops collapse in UP’s Agra

Agra (UP), Apr 6: Two brothers were killed and...

Beed mosque blast: UAPA invoked against two arrested men

Mumbai, Apr 6: Police have invoked the stringent Unlawful...

Record Break! Garo Hills produces 18 state toppers 

Tura, April 5: This year’s SSLC exams have been...

Rajnath flags off IOS SAGAR, inaugurates infra projects at Karwar naval base

Karwar (Karnataka), Apr 5: Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on...

PM POSHAN cooks seek pay hike

Shillong, Apr 5: The cook-cum-helpers engaged in the flagship...

Supplementary exams by May first week: Rakkam

Shillong, Apr 5: The Meghalaya Board of School Education...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img