Turkman Gate violence: Six more held, total arrests now stand at 11

New Delhi, Jan 8: A day after a court-ordered anti-encroachment drive triggered clashes and stone-pelting in central Delhi’s Turkman Gate area, six more arrests have been made in connection with the violence, which left police personnel injured.

The total number of arrests made in the matter now stands at 11, including the apprehension of a juvenile.

Those arrested on Thursday have been identified as, Afaan, Adil, Shahnawaz, Hamza, Atharr and Ubed, all are residents of the Turkman Gate area.

“We have arrested six more people. So far total of 11 people, including one juvenile, have been apprehended,” Additional Commissioner of Police (Central) Nidhin Valsan told PTI.

He said that adequate deployment of police personnel and paramilitary forces has been made in the area to maintain law and order and prevent any untoward incident.

Officers are closely monitoring the situation, he added.

An anti-encroachment drive near the Faiz-e-Elahi mosque in Delhi’s Ramlila Maidan area on the intervening night of Tuesday and Wednesday triggered violence as many people pelted stones at police personnel, injuring five of them, including the area’s station house officer.

Trouble brewed when a social media post claimed the mosque, opposite the Turkman Gate, was being demolished during the anti-encroachment drive, and people started gathering there, police sources said.

They claimed that 150 to 200 people were involved in the pelting of stones and glass bottles at the police and Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) workers.

MCD Deputy Commissioner Kumar Kumar had said around 36,000 square feet of encroached area was cleared during the drive. A diagnostic centre, a banquet hall and two boundary walls were demolished during the drive that went on through the night, Kumar had said.

He had also clarified that the mosque was not damaged in any way. (PTI)

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

‘Moral policing’: Kerala court sentences 5 to life term for beating man to death

Malappuram(Kerala), Feb 20: A court here on Friday sentenced...

Anurag Kashyap’s ‘Bandar’ to release on May 22

Mumbai, Feb 20: Filmmaker Anurag Kashyap’s upcoming film, "Bandar",...

PM Modi condoles demise of Shillong MP Ricky Syngkon

New Delhi, Feb 20: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on...

Budget session likely to be postponed

Shillong, Feb 19: Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma has...

Shillong MP Ricky AJ Syngkon passes away

Shillong, Feb 19: Shillong MP Dr Ricky AJ Syngkon...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories