700 Kuki-Zo people sheltered in Assam’s Karbi Anglong already sent back to Manipur: Official

Diphu (Assam), Nov 28: Assam’s Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council chief executive member Tuliram Ronghang on Wednesday said 700 Kuki-Zo people, who had sought refuge in the district last year due to the violence in Manipur, have already been sent back following discussions with Kuki community leaders and organisations.

Ronghang said the council had covered the travel expenses for the returnees, and they were sent back in buses with security escorts.

The council chief also said around 1,000 more Kuki-Zo people, including around 400 families, are currently sheltered in Singhasan Hills and Borjan areas, and efforts will be made to help them return as well.

The CEM emphasised that discussions had been held with various stakeholders, including student organisations and village elders from both the Karbi and Kuki communities, to ensure the safe and peaceful return of displaced Kuki families.

“We will not forcefully evict them, but we will facilitate their return after discussions with social and political organisations, including the Kuki community,” Ronghang added.

However, Ronghang made it clear that land allotments would only be granted to indigenous residents of Karbi Anglong who have lived in the district since its establishment or are long-standing permanent residents.

“We will not allow land rights to individuals migrating from outside, especially those who came from Manipur following the violence,” he said. The land documents distribution initiative, aimed at ensuring land rights for the indigenous people, will not extend to these recent migrants, he added.

A meeting has been scheduled for November 28 to further discuss the matter, and Ronghang expressed hope for an amicable resolution.

In contrast, J I Kathar, president of the All Party Hill Leaders Conference (APHLC), criticised Ronghang for what he described as “irresponsible statements.”

He argued that the Kukis had come to Karbi Anglong seeking shelter and security due to displacement caused by violence in Manipur.

”The Kukis have come to the district in search of shelter and security as they were displaced due to violence in Manipur. The BJP is silent on Bangladeshis and Biharis settling in the district but are indifferent towards the Kukis who have suffered violence”, Kathar told reporters on Wednesday.

Karbi Anglong and West Karbi Anglong, part of Assam’s three hill districts, are governed by the KAAC under the Sixth Schedule of the Constitution.

The districts are home to several communities, including the Karbis, Kukis, Hmars, and Thadous. Historically, there has been tension and violent conflict between the Karbi and Kuki communities, particularly over land disputes, resources, and political representation.

The violence between these communities escalated in the late 1990s and early 2000s, with militant groups from both sides—such as the United People’s Democratic Solidarity (UPDS), representing the Karbis, and the Kuki Revolutionary Army (KRA)—engaged in armed conflict, resulting in the deaths of over 100 people. A peace agreement signed in 2021 has helped bring an end to the long-standing conflict between Karbi militant groups and the state. (PTI)

Hot this week

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

LSG beat MI by 12 runs: Pandya’s maiden five-wicket haul in T20 cricket goes in vain

Lucknow, Apr 4: Hardik Pandya's maiden five-wicket haul in...

7 dead as tractor falls into deep well

Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar, Apr 4: Seven women farm labourers, two...

PM Modi meets Yunus, flags concerns over safety of minorities in B’desh

Bangkok, Apr 4: In his first meeting with Bangladesh's...

Govt need to answer Centre’s queries on ILP: Paul  

‘Meghalaya being a transit route for other states a...

All-party meet on Railways soon: Govt  

‘Members of civil society, NGOs to be part of...

Centre to protect NE from external threat: Govt

Shillong, Apr 4: The state government has expressed confidence...

4 Bangla nationals, Indian tout arrested

Shillong, Apr 4: Four Bangladeshi nationals and an Indian...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img