Tura, April 5: The results of the much-anticipated Secondary School Leaving Certificate Examination 2025, commonly known as the Class X Matric exams, has been released with St Margaret’s Higher Secondary School, Shillong, student Leisha Agarwal and Jowai’s North Liberty Higher Secondary School’s Avila Kathrene P Lyngdoh jointly sharing the first position in the state.

The overall pass percentage this year has touched 87.10%- a phenomenal rise in comparison to previous years (55.80% in 2024, 51.93 in 2023, 56.96 in 2022, 52.90 in 2021).
This year’s SSLC toppers, besides the usual Shillong and Tura schools, hail from institutions spread across the state- from Jowai, Phulbari, Nongpoh, Mawpdai, Mahendraganj, Umori, Dalu, a little known Bholarbita town in the plains of Garo Hills, Mairang, Sohra (Cherrapunjee), Nongthliew, Dawagre (Williamnagar), Umsning, Nongstoin, Nongspung, including candidates from several private institutions revealing the depth of success and talent that prevails among the students of the state who are being mentored by dedicated teachers and their families.
The divide between urban and rural institutions has been broken with schools from distant regions of the state equally sharing the laurels of victory after a grueling year of preparations.
Meghalaya Board of School Education Executive Chairman C P Marak issued a statement highlighting the board’s efforts to provide the best services for the student community of the state.
A total of 63,682 students appeared in this year’s SSLC examinations, with 55,473 successfully clearing it.
Among the pass students, female students far outperform their male counterparts- female pass 32,747, male pass 22,726. Notably, 18,903 students passed exactly five subjects, while 36,570 students cleared all six subjects.
This year’s pass percentage standing at an impressive 87.10% has set a new record, said MBOSE Executive Chairman C P Marak.
The number of candidates this year has witnessed a significant increase from last year’s 54,134 largely due to the elimination of the Selection Test. A similar surge was observed in 2021, following the cancellation of the Selection Test due to the Covid-19 pandemic, noted Marak.
The number of Top Twenty Rank Holders has also risen dramatically to 85 this year- up from 37 last year. “It is heartening to note that these rank holders represent both urban and rural schools, with some sharing the same positions,” said C P Marak.
Additionally, 341 schools achieved a 100% pass rate this year, a substantial increase from last year’s 180 schools.
“The exceptional results this year can be attributed to the dedication of the students, the revised question pattern, and the introduction of the CM IMPACT Guidebook. This Guidebook has proven invaluable, especially for students without access to quality notes for preparation and revision,” said the MBOSE Executive Chairman.
Starting this year, the Board has introduced the Supplementary Examination, to be conducted within the same academic year. It will take place towards the end of April 2025. Students who have failed in any subject are automatically eligible, and further details will be shared next week, informed Marak.
