A French alleged neo-Nazi sympathizer, suspected of targeting Olympic torch, sentenced to 2 years

PARIS, July 20: A French alleged neo-Nazi sympathizer was sentenced to two years in prison after making threats online and was suspected of wanting to target the Olympic torch relay, authorities said Saturday.

The Paris public prosecutor’s office said in a statement the 19-year-old man was convicted after a swift trial overnight Friday on charges of sharing bomb-making instructions on social media, posts inciting hate and death threats as well as posts with personal information that put people at risk.

The man — detained on Wednesday morning at his home in the Alsace region of eastern France — ran a group called “French Aryan division” on the social media channel Telegram, the statement said.

The prosecutor’s office said his alleged comments that triggered the probe by its unit, dedicated to fighting online hate, didn’t specifically target the Paris Olympics, which kick off with a high-security opening ceremony.

France’s Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said Wednesday anti-terror police detained the man and that he was an alleged neo-Nazi sympathizer suspected of “a willingness to intervene during a stage, evidently, of the torch relay.”

The relay is nearing the end of its months-long trip around France and overseas French territories before the Games’ opening.

Darmanin, who is staying on in a caretaker role at the interior ministry until a new government is formed in the wake of legislative elections earlier this month, said the suspect has previously been flagged by police “for ultra-right ideas, which can be termed neo-Nazi.”

“We know that he had, a priori, a desire to hit political targets or people with immigrant backgrounds,” he said.

The French capital’s security operation for its first Olympic Games in a century involves up to 45,000 police and gendarmes, plus a 10,000-strong military force that is patrolling streets and sites in the Paris region and carrying out other security missions.

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Agatha Sangma honoured by Vice-President at TOI summit

Shillong, Feb 21: In a significant honour, former Union...

MMDC coal depot leased for 30 years earns Rs 3 cr

Shillong, Feb 21: The coal depot owned by Meghalaya...

Crackdown on illegal mining: 22 arrested, 12 coal-laden trucks seized in EJ Hills

Shillong, Feb 21: Continuing its crackdown on illegal coal...

Drug peddler in ANTF net

Shillong, Feb 21: A drug peddler was arrested along...

Garo Hills farmers exposed to making of ‘new age fibres’

Shillong, Feb 21: What was once discarded as agricultural...

Mortal remains of Meghalaya MP Ricky Syngkon laid to rest AJ Syngkon

Shillong, Feb 21: The mortal remains of Meghalaya Lok...

India Women beat Australia by 17 runs; clinch historic T20I series victory

Adelaide, Feb 21: An entertaining century partnership between Smriti...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories