Dewatering continues in Assam mine, five trapped workers yet to be traced

Guwahati, Jan 16: Dewatering continued in the coal quarry in Assam’s Dima Hasao district, with the authorities failing to trace the five workers who are still trapped inside for 10 days, officials said on Wednesday.

Water was pumped out of the mine using machines brought by the ONGC and Coal India, and the water level has gone down considerably.

Dewatering is being carried out with the help of nine pumps while six others are on standby, the official said.

Nine workers had been trapped inside the mine on January 6 when the quarry was flooded. Four bodies were recovered since then.

The water level, which was initially at 100 ft, is coming down gradually and the current level is being ascertained, he said.

Divers will go inside the quarry only after the water level recedes to search for the trapped miners.

The four bodies were found floating on the water with navy, army and NDRF divers bringing them out.

The first body was recovered last Wednesday and three others on Saturday.

Navy divers who were requisitioned for rescue operations since the second day of the tragedy have been withdrawn and moved out of the incident site, an official said.

The rescue operations were being carried out jointly by the army, Assam Rifles, NDRF, SDRF and district administration since the first day.

”The hope of survival of the remaining trapped miners appears to be waning as they remain trapped for the ninth day but the rescue operations will continue,” the official said.

An underwater Remote Operating Vehicle (ROV) is also being sent inside the quarry at regular intervals to capture images of the trapped miner, the official added.

The chief minister had earlier claimed that the mine was abandoned 12 years ago and was under the Assam Mineral Development Corporation till three years ago.(PTI)

Hot this week

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

LSG beat MI by 12 runs: Pandya’s maiden five-wicket haul in T20 cricket goes in vain

Lucknow, Apr 4: Hardik Pandya's maiden five-wicket haul in...

7 dead as tractor falls into deep well

Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar, Apr 4: Seven women farm labourers, two...

PM Modi meets Yunus, flags concerns over safety of minorities in B’desh

Bangkok, Apr 4: In his first meeting with Bangladesh's...

Govt need to answer Centre’s queries on ILP: Paul  

‘Meghalaya being a transit route for other states a...

All-party meet on Railways soon: Govt  

‘Members of civil society, NGOs to be part of...

Centre to protect NE from external threat: Govt

Shillong, Apr 4: The state government has expressed confidence...

4 Bangla nationals, Indian tout arrested

Shillong, Apr 4: Four Bangladeshi nationals and an Indian...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img