Go to court or EC if you have proof: Shinde on Rahul Gandhi’s ‘vote theft’ allegations

Thane, Aug 10: Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde on Sunday targeted the Opposition Congress and its leader Rahul Gandhi over his “vote theft” allegations, saying they should approach the court or the Election Commission if they have a proof.

By making such “baseless claims”, they have insulted the people of Maharashtra, Shiv Sena leader Shinde told reporters at an event here.

Gandhi on Thursday claimed a “huge criminal fraud” in polls through “collusion” between the BJP and the Election Commission, citing an analysis of voter rolls in a constituency in Karnataka last year.

A day after, he alleged that the Election Commission and the BJP colluded to “steal” the Lok Sabha election from the people, and that there was “vote theft” in at least three states.

Gandhi had also alleged that the Maharashtra assembly poll results (last year) confirmed the Congress’s suspicion that the election was ‘stolen’.

Asked about such charges, Shinde, without taking any name, criticised the Opposition for making “wild allegations” in public.

“If they have proof, they should go to the court or the Election Commission. By making such baseless claims, they have insulted the citizens of Maharashtra who elected the Mahayuti (comprising the BJP, Shiv Sena and NCP), as well as our sisters, brothers, farmers and the people of the state,” he said.

Soon after Gandhi levelled the charge asserting that “vote chori”(vote theft) is an “atom bomb on our democracy”, the Chief Electoral Officers of Karnataka and Maharashtra had asked the former Congress chief to share names of electors he claimed were “wrong” in the voters’ list along with a signed declaration for poll authorities to initiate “necessary proceedings” in the matter.

The Election Commission on Friday accused Gandhi of recycling old allegations of poll irregularities settled by the Supreme Court, and asked the Congress leader to provide a written declaration on his claims about wrongful entries in the voters’ list or tender an apology.(PTI)

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

NEHU VC, staff mourn loss of Dr Ricky AJ Syngkon

Shillong, Feb 21: North Eastern Hill University (NEHU) Vice...

Congress chief Vincent H Pala extends condolence to Dr Syngkon’s family

Shillong, Feb 21: Meghalaya Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) expressed...

First-ever state record of moth species documented in Ri-Bhoi

ROOPAK GOSWAMI Shillong, Feb 20: In a significant addition to...

BJP Meghalaya mourns passing of Syngkon

Shillong, Feb 20: The state Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)...

PM Modi holds roundtable with 16 heads of AI, deeptech startups

New Delhi, Feb 20: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on...

VPP leader expresses hope for change ‘political mindset’  

Ardent Basaiawmoit clarifies on missing House session to pay...

Leaders pay tributes to Dr Syngkon in Assembly

Shillong, Feb 20: Tributes poured in for Shillong MP...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories