Govt aims to make June 21 NEET-UG re-test 100 pc error-free: Pradhan

New Delhi, May 22: Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan on Friday said the government had to take “tough decisions” after irregularities were detected in the conduct of the NEET-UG, asserting that authorities did not want even a single deserving student to lose their rightful seat because of the “examination mafia”.

He also asserted that the government is committed to ensuring that the re-test scheduled to be held on June 21 remains “100 per cent error-free”.

Addressing the Jagran Bharat Education Conclave 2026, Pradhan said around 22 lakh students have suffered “mental anguish” due to the controversy surrounding the medical-entrance exam and the government is committed to fixing the system.

“Twenty-two lakh children have gone through immense mental anguish. Understanding that anguish and taking responsibility, I am saying this today, we had to take some tough decisions,” he said.

The National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (Undergraduate) for admissions in medical courses held on May 3 was cancelled by the National Testing Agency (NTA) recently amid allegations of paper leak. The matter is being probed by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and a re-test is scheduled to be held on June 21.

Pradhan said the government decided to cancel the examination after finding that “some assessments had been compromised”.

“We did not want even a single student to be deprived of their rightful seat because of the conspiracy of those involved in irregularities in the education system and the examination mafia,” he said.

The minister acknowledged the criticism over the handling of the issue but said the government is prepared to face the challenge.

“We are facing criticism and challenges, and I accept that. But it is our responsibility to set the system right. It is not our duty to shut our eyes and turn away from the problem,” he said.

The education minister further said the government is committed to ensuring a smoother conduct of the re-examination scheduled on June 21.

“For the examination scheduled on June 21, it is our responsibility to ensure that it is 100 per cent error-free,” he said. (PTI)

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Amit Shah targets Mamata over delay in Indo-Bangla border fencing in Bengal

Siliguri, Aug 21: Asserting that neither West Bengal nor...

MZP seeks Governor’s intervention over engineering seats, drug awareness campaign

Aizawl, Aug 21: Mizoram's influential student body, the Mizo...

Jadavpur University files police complaints over campus violence

Kolkata, Aug 21: Jadavpur University on Friday lodged police...

Hundreds of seers, devotees perform Ram Kot parikrama on first anniversary in Ayodhya

Ayodhya, Aug 21: Hundreds of seers and devotees performed...

Veteran Odia playback singer Pranab Patnaik dies at 88

Bhubaneswar, Aug 21: Veteran Odia playback singer Pranab Patnaik...

Rahul sits on dharna at police station, demands FIR over pellet gun use

New Delhi, Aug 21: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories