Meghalaya defers UK study tour

Shillong, May 20: Cabinet Minister Marcuise N Marak has put on hold a proposed visit by the Soil & Water Conservation team to the United Kingdom in line with austerity measures sought by the Prime Minister.  

“With regards to austerity measures that the Prime Minister has requested, here in our state also the chief minister has already requested all the ministers to follow the austerity measures,” Marak told reporters on Wednesday.  

The minister said the UK trip was planned to study climate-related water projects.

“I was planning to visit the UK with my Soil & Water Conservation team to study climate change issues and also with regards to implementation of climate adaptive committee-based water harvesting project,” he said.  

The proposal had been sent to the chief minister for approval, but was stopped after the Centre’s directive.

“We had sent the request to the chief minister also but because of the Prime Minister’s austerity measure call, we were told not to proceed and we were told to keep it on hold,” Marak stated.  

He confirmed the State is complying with the directive. “Therefore, we are not going ahead and we have abided by the request of the chief minister,” he said.

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Sinquefield Cup: Praggnanandhaa beats Vachier-Lagrave to rise to joint lead

St. Louis (USA), Aug 19: Grandmaster R Praggnanandhaa outplayed...

Jharkhand exam stir: Govt cancels 44 recruitment tests, students’ protests on

Ranchi, Aug 19: Amid a 25-day students' agitation over...

Former Delhi minister Satyendar Jain, 5 others produced in court in DJB ‘scam’ case

New Delhi, Aug 19: Former Delhi minister Satyendar Jain,...

Pakistan extends airspace ban for Indian aircraft till Sep 24

Islamabad, Aug 19: Pakistan on Wednesday extended the closure...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories