SC closes criminal proceedings against 30 armymen in 2021 botched Nagaland operation

New Delhi, Sep 18 (PTI): In a relief to 30 Army personnel, the Supreme Court on Tuesday closed the criminal proceedings initiated against them by the Nagaland government for allegedly killing 13 civilians in a 2021 botched operation to ambush militants in Mon district for want of prosecution sanction.

A bench of Justices Vikram Nath and PB Varale noted that the Centre had on February 28 last year declined to grant sanction to prosecute the personnel under section 6 of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA) of 1958.

Section 6 of the AFSPA says, “No prosecution, suit or other legal proceedings shall be instituted except with the previous sanction of the Central Government, against any person in respect of anything done or purported to be done in exercise of the powers conferred by this Act.”

The bench said, in case sanction is granted at any stage under Section 6 of the AFSPA, the proceedings pursuant to the impugned FIRs may continue and may proceed in accordance with law and be brought to a logical conclusion.

“In view of the aforesaid discussions, the writ petition (Criminal) Nos…are allowed. The proceedings pursuant to the impugned FIRs shall remain closed,” the bench directed.

The apex court closed the proceedings on two separate petitions filed by the wives of the personnel, including a major rank officer, who sought closure of the case lodged by Nagaland police.

The top court also refused to accept the prayer of the Nagaland government to direct the Army to initiate proceedings against the accused personnel on the administrative side.

“The said submission does not merit consideration by this court as that would be at the sole discretion of the armed forces whether or not to carry on disciplinary proceedings against its officers. As such, we are not inclined to issue any such directions. The concerned wing of the armed forces would be at liberty to take or not to take any disciplinary proceedings against its officers,” the bench said in its order.

It also noted that the Nagaland government has filed a separate petition challenging denial of prosecution sanction by the Centre against the Army personnel in the case and notice has been issued in the matter.

The top court made its July 19, 2022 interim order absolute by which it had stayed further proceedings in the FIR registered by the state government against Army personnel belonging to the special forces unit.

The wives of the Army personnel had sought closure of the criminal proceedings on the ground that the state government has no jurisdiction to prosecute the personnel due to immunity granted under the AFSPA.

Their plea contended that prior sanction from the Centre was needed to initiate any legal proceedings against Army personnel if the area falls under AFSPA.

Hot this week

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Highest paid in team doesn’t mean I have to score every match, it’s about impact:Venkatesh Iyer

Kolkata, Apr 4: Kolkata Knight Riders vice-captain Venkatesh Iyer...

Veteran actor-filmmaker Manoj Kumar dies at 87

Mumbai, Apr 4: Veteran actor-filmmaker Manoj Kumar, who came...

Yoon Suk Yeol removed as South Korea’s president over short-lived martial law

Seoul, Apr 4: South Korea's Constitutional Court unanimously removed...

PM Modi proposes 21-point action plan to boost engagement among BIMSTEC nations

Bangkok, Apr 4: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday...

Congress to challenge Waqf bill soon in Supreme Court

New Delhi, Apr 4: The Congress on Friday said...

India ranks 10th with $1.4 billion private investment in AI: UN report

United Nations, Apr 4: India and China are the...

Tripura CM lays foundation stone for new hospital in Agartala

Agartala, Apr 4: Tripura Chief Minister Manik Saha on...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img