Baljek Airport likely to be operationalised next year

Shillong, Mar 7: By next year, Garo Hills is likely witness resumption of flight operations from Baljek Airport, which has remained idle for 17 long years, chief minister Conrad Sangma informed the state assembly on Friday.

Stating that discussions are at last level, the Sangma said, “By 2026 we are hopeful to operate 19-20 seater aircraft from Baljek Airport.”

He also expressed the government commitment towards expansion of Shillong Airport at Umroi.

“I am sending a strong message that we are committed to (improve air connectivity) by ensuring Umroi Airport expansion (for landing of bigger aircraft) and flights start operating from the Baljek Airport,” he said while replying to a question from TMC legislator Charles Pyngrope.

To Pyngrope’s query if the government would consider extending the runway of Baljek Airport for landing of bigger aircraft to avoid challenges faced in Shillong Airport, the chief minister said Airports Authority of India (AAI) has not shown interest in inflating the project budget to accommodate bigger aircraft at this stage.

“We came to a meeting point.. let us start with 19-20 seater aircraft, but options are open,” Sangma said.

To TMC legislator Rupa Marak’s question about the 17-year delay in operationalising the airport, deputy chief minister in-charge Transport Sniawbhalang Dhar said, “Baljek Airport is currently non-operational. The government is in discussions with Airports Authority of India to make Baljek Airport operational for 19-20 seater aircraft.”

He informed that 211-acre land is available for development and expansion of the airport. Over 153-acre land was acquired during 1986-89 and 58 acre land acquired on July 21, 2014 for the airport project.

So far, Rs 3.58 crore was paid for land acquisition while the government also accepted the proposal for acquiring additional 68 acres of land.

“We are waiting for a joint inspection with the AAI before acquiring the additional land since 211 acre is still insufficient,” he said.

Expansion of the airport will be started after acquiring additional 68 acres of land, he said.

According to him, the decision to acquire the additional land was taken after AAI had expressed unwillingness to operate small aircraft.

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

CM addresses GHADC financial crisis in Tura meet with Nokma body

Tura, Aug 29: Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma...

Govt plans pump store power projects

Shillong, Aug 29: The state government has planned to...

Meghalaya felicitates 136 athletes, 22 coaches on National Sports Day

Shillong/Tura (Meghalaya), Aug 29: The Meghalaya government on Friday...

Indian lifters bag 7 medals at Commonwealth C’ships

Ahmedabad, Aug 29: Indian weightlifters bagged a rich haul...

Indian boxers win 7 gold medals at Belt and Road Youth Boxing Gala

New Delhi, Aug 29: Indian boxers claimed a rich...

MDC opposes scheme implementation by SMB  

Shillong, Aug 29: Laban Mawprem MDC Ricky Shullai has...

Guwahati Airport : Panel suggests subsidised parking fees for tourist cabs

Shillong, Aug 29: The government-constituted committee to look into...

PM Modi, Prez Xi likely to meet twice on SCO summit sidelines to firm up ties

Beijing, Aug 29: Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories