We are talking to US for a trade agreement: Goyal

New Delhi, Aug 29: Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal on Friday said India is negotiating a bilateral trade agreement with the US, indicating that the steep 50 per cent tariff imposed by America on Indian goods will not have much impact on the country’s economy.

“If somebody wants to have a good free tarde agreement, we will always be ready. But if somebody discriminates…We will never bow down, nor will we ever be weak, together we will keep moving forward,” he said here at an industry event.

The remarks came in the backdrop of the Trump administration imposing a steep 50 per cent tariff on Indian goods entering America.

The imposition of this high duty is seen as a pressure tactics by America on India to accept its demands in the proposed bilateral trade agreement (BTA). The US is seeking greater market access in politically sensitive agri and dairy sectors.

India has described these duties as unfair and unjustified. It has stated that the government will not compromise the interests of farmers and cattle rearers.

Goyal said that efforts are being made for export diversification and “I can say with confidence that India’s exports this year will exceed 2024-25 numbers”.

In 2024-25, the country’s goods and services exports touched an all-time high of USD 825 billion.

In the global trade market, India’s share is low and hence, “there is no need to fear”, the minister said, adding the country has successfully managed Covid pandemic and nuclear sanctions.

Observing that India is an import-dependent economy, he noted that about 40 per cent of India’s exports to US are not covered by the tariffs.

About the proposed free trade agreement, the minister said, “We are talking to US for a BTA. We have plan to complete the first first phase of the BTA by fall (Oct-Nov) of this year.”

India and the US have been negotiating the pact since March. So far five rounds of talks are completed. After 50 per cent duty was imposed, the US team has deferred its visit to India for the next round of talks, which was scheduled from August 25.

So far no new dates have been finalised for the sixth round of negotiations. (PTI)

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

State lays focus on renewable energy  

‘Govt working towards ensuring 24-hour power supply in Meghalaya’   Shillong,...

New sub-station to end Ri-Bhoi power issues  

‘Collection of power bills improved compared to previous years’  Shillong,...

CM addresses GHADC financial crisis in Tura meet with Nokma body

Tura, Aug 29: Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma...

Govt plans pump store power projects

Shillong, Aug 29: The state government has planned to...

Meghalaya felicitates 136 athletes, 22 coaches on National Sports Day

Shillong/Tura (Meghalaya), Aug 29: The Meghalaya government on Friday...

Indian lifters bag 7 medals at Commonwealth C’ships

Ahmedabad, Aug 29: Indian weightlifters bagged a rich haul...

Indian boxers win 7 gold medals at Belt and Road Youth Boxing Gala

New Delhi, Aug 29: Indian boxers claimed a rich...

MDC opposes scheme implementation by SMB  

Shillong, Aug 29: Laban Mawprem MDC Ricky Shullai has...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories