Wangchuk not given videos which formed basis of his detention: Wife to SC

New Delhi, Feb 19: Climate activist Sonam Wangchuk’s wife Gitanjali J Angmo alleged in the Supreme Court on Thursday that four videos which formed the basis of her husband’s detention were not shown to him and only the thumbnails on pen drive were displayed.

Senior advocate Kapil Sibal, appearing in the court for Angmo, told a bench of justices Aravind Kumar and Prasanna B Varale that not supplying the videos violated Wangchuk’s right to effective representation before the advisory board as well as the government.

“It is now alleged by the State that that DIG came with a laptop and shown four videos. The laptop was provided to detenue on October 5, 2025, but those four vidoes were not there.

“Let us assume they showed it to be, that is not the requirement of law. The requirement is to give it to me. They have to provide the document, I don’t have to ask. It is there constitutional duty to supply. We have said that time and again that the four was never supplied,” Sibal said.

Another lawyer assisting Sibal informed the court that the pen drive was inserted in the laptop before Wangchuk and he only saw the thumbnails.

“The videos were not actually played. None of the thumbnails were actually clicked,” the lawyer said.

Additional Solicitor General KM Nataraj submitted that there is a video in which the conversation with the DIG and detenue will show everything.

The top court said it see the relevant video recordings, including a 40-minute video of the interaction between police officials and the detenue.

The matter is now posted for hearing on February 23.

On Monday, the apex court had questioned the Centre about the transcripts of videos submitted by it against Wangchuk and said the translations should be precise in the age of artificial intelligence.

It had told Nataraj that it wanted actual transcripts of Wangchuk’s statements from the government after Sibal submitted that some of the words attributed to the activist were never said by him.

The top court was hearing a habeas corpus petition filed by Wangchuk’s wife, Gitanjali Angmo, seeking a declaration that his detention under the National Security Act (NSA), 1980, is illegal.

The NSA empowers the Centre and the states to detain individuals to prevent them from acting in a manner “prejudicial to the defence of India.”

The maximum detention period is 12 months, though it can be revoked earlier. Angmo said the violence in Leh on September 24 last year cannot be attributed in any manner to the actions or statements of Wangchuk.

Wangchuk himself condemned the violence through his social media handles and categorically said it would lead to the failure of Ladakh’s “tapasya” and its peaceful pursuit of five years, Angmo said, adding that it was the saddest day of his life. (PTI)

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Budget session likely to be postponed

Shillong, Feb 19: Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma has...

Shillong MP Ricky AJ Syngkon passes away

Shillong, Feb 19: Shillong MP Dr Ricky AJ Syngkon...

Schoolboy dead, several injured in Meghalaya road accident

Nongpoh, Feb 19: A schoolboy was killed and several...

Mine tragedy: HC to take closer look at status report

Shillong, Feb 19: The Meghalaya High Court has acknowledged...

70,000-capacity event ground coming up in New Shillong: Dy CM

Shillong, Feb 19: A massive multi-purpose event ground covering...

NH Construction: Rs 268 crore paid as land compensation in Garo Hills

Shillong, Feb 19: Land compensation for National Highway construction...

96% land dues for Shillong Western Bypass settled: Govt

Shillong, Feb 19: The state government has assured progress...

All New Shillong roads to have cycle tracks  

CM bats for use of cycles to address traffic...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories