Union Minister Mansukh Mandaviya to arrive in Shillong on May 28
Shillong, May 19: A revised agreement for hosting National Games 2027 will be signed between the Union Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs and Government of Meghalaya in presence of the Union Sports and Youth Affairs Minister Mansukh Mandaviya in Shillong on May 30.
The agreement has to be renewed as per changes sought by the Indian Olympic Association (IOA), Sports and Youth Affairs Minister Wailadmiki Shylla said on Tuesday while referring to the first agreement signed eight years ago.
Last week, a state delegation met the Union Minister to discuss renewal of the agreement, but the minister preferred to sign the pact during his visit to Shillong, Shylla said.
The Union Minister along with the Minister of State Raksha Nikhil Khadse will arrive in Shillong on May 28 to attend a two-day Bharat Group meeting for Eastern Zone, Shylla said quoting a “verbal message” received by him on Monday.
“This meeting will be for the Eastern Zone including all North Eastern states, West Bengal and Odisha,” Shylla said.
On preparations for the Games, the minister said feedback from inspections by sports ministry and IOA have been positive.
“Many people, who inspected the site, were quite satisfied with our preparation right now,” he said.
On infrastructure, he added, “For different disciplines, there will be separate fields of play. Right now, we have sufficient number of grounds for indoor and other events and we have back-up grounds too.”
The state has earmarked Rs 600 crore for the Games and is seeking central assistance.
On assurance of getting the Central assistance, he said, “I cannot say for sure. It depends on the central government, but as of now, we are going from the state fund.”



