80% legacy waste cleared from Marten   

Site to be reclaimed by Govt within next few years: Dhar  

Shillong, July 8: Over 2.5 lakh tonnes of accumulated wastes at Marten landfill site on the outskirts of Shillong have been cleared and the legacy waste project is in its final stage, Deputy Chief Minister in-charge of Urban Affairs Sniawbhalang Dhar said on Wednesday.

While the existing waste is being cleared from the old dumping site, the city still awaits a new landfill.

“The existing waste at the old Marten site is almost cleared. We have already removed 2.5 lakh tonnes of legacy waste,” Dhar told reporters.

He expressed hope that the area would be fully reclaimed within the next few years.

“In a few years from now, the place will look completely different,” he said.

According to Dhar, nearly 80 percent of the legacy waste at Marten has been processed and removed so far.

“While we are waiting for the new landfill, almost 80 percent of the legacy waste has already been taken out from the old landfill site,” he added.

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Institutional delivery rate in SWG Hills PHC doubles in 7 years

Shillong, Aug 23: A primary health centre in Meghalaya’s...

CM hails taxi bodies for calling off protest

Shillong, Aug 23: Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma has...

Govt denies permission for KSU’s Monday protest

Shillong, Aug 23: The East Khasi Hills district administration...

Don’t judge a city by an isolated incident: Admin

Security deployment to remain in Shillong till citizens feel...

No blockade in Assam, Meghalaya: Govt

Shillong, Aug 23: Ri-Bhoi district administration on Sunday asserted...

Meghalaya cabs agree to enter Assam till Sept 10  

Govt assures of joint meeting to resolve taxi bodies’...

2 killed as powerful storm hits Baltic countries

Warsaw, Aug 23: Two people died and around half...

Russian and Ukrainian attacks kill 10

Kyiv, Aug 22: Russian drone and missile strikes killed...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories