Huge landslide cleaves off edge of town in Sicily, forces evacuation of 1,500 people

Rome, Jan 28: Italian Premier Giorgia Meloni on Wednesday toured a southern town in Sicily where days of heavy rains from a cyclone triggered a massive landslide that cleaved off the town’s edge, collapsing houses and forcing the evacuation of over 1,500 people.

The area of the landslide spanned 4 kilometres (2.5 miles), and civil protection crews created a 150-meter-wide (150-yard-wide) “no go zone.” At the edge of Niscemi, some cars and structures had already tumbled 20 metres (yards) off the cliff, while other homes remained perched perilously on the edge of the continuously shifting ground.

Authorities warned that residents with homes in the area, facing the city of Gela on Sicily’s southwestern coast, will have to find long-term alternatives to moving back since the water-soaked ground was too unstable.

“The entire hill is collapsing onto the plain of Gela,” civil protection chief Fabio Ciciliano said. “To be honest, there are houses located on the edge of the landslide that obviously can no longer be inhabited, so we need to work with the mayor to find a permanent relocation for these families.”

The federal government included Sicily in a state of emergency declaration on Monday for several southern regions and set aside an initial 100 million euros (USD 120 million), though Sicilian regional officials estimated on Wednesday the overall damage at 2 billion euros (USD 2.4 billion).

Meloni took a helicopter tour of the landslide area and met with local and regional officials at the town hall, but didn’t immediately comment.

Located just inland from Gela, Niscemi is no stranger to landslides. The town was built on layers of sand and clay that become particularly permeable in heavy rain and have shifted before, most recently in a major 1997 landslide that forced the evacuation of 400 people, geologists say.

“Today, the situation is repeating itself with even more significant characteristics: the landslide front extends for about 4 kilometres and directly affects the houses facing the slope,” warned Giovanna Pappalardo, professor of applied geology at the University of Catania.

The latest landslide, which began on Sunday with Cyclone Harry battering southern Italy, has revived political mud-slinging about why construction was allowed on land which, because of its geological makeup, has a high risk of landslides.

The centre-right regional president of Sicily, Renato Schifani, acknowledged such questions were legitimate. But he noted he had only been in office for a few years and said the main issue was an institutional response to help residents immediately affected.

The opposition centre-left Democratic Party leader, Elly Schlein, meanwhile, proposed that Meloni’s government reallocate 1 billion euros approved for its controversial bridge from Sicily to the Italian mainland and direct it toward storm-hit regions, since the bridge project is currently tied up in court challenges. (AP)

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Can Indian IT bridge the AI ‘Deployment Gap’?

By Dipak Kurmi In the mid-to-late 1990s, Harvard Business School...

Troubled Waters at Great Nicobar

By Satyabrat Borah Troubled waters is an apt phrase when...

Anti-CAA pleas: SC to start hearing petitions on May 5

New Delhi, Feb 19: The Supreme Court on Thursday...

Jio with Reliance to invest Rs 10 lakh cr over 7 years: Ambani

New Delhi, Feb 19: Billionaire Mukesh Ambani on Thursday...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories