US seizes 2 sanctioned oil tankers linked to Venezuela in North Atlantic and Caribbean

Washington, Jan 7: The US has seized two sanctioned oil tankers linked to Venezuela in back-to-back actions in the North Atlantic and the Caribbean, officials said Wednesday.

US European Command announced the seizure of the merchant vessel Bella 1 for “violations of US sanctions” in a social medial post. The US had been pursuing the tanker since last month after it tried to evade a US blockade on sanctioned oil vessels around Venezuela.

Then, Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem revealed that US forces also took control of the tanker Sophia in the Caribbean. Noem said in a social media post both ships were “either last docked in Venezuela or en route to it.”

The US military seized the Bella 1 and subsequently handed over control of it to law enforcement officials, said a US official, who spoke to The Associated Press on Wednesday on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive military operations.

The ship was sanctioned by the US in 2024 for allegedly smuggling cargo for a company linked to Lebanese militant group Hezbollah, which is backed by Iran. The US Coast Guard attempted to board it in the Caribbean in December as it headed for Venezuela. The ship refused boarding and headed across the Atlantic.

During this time, the Bella 1 was renamed Marinera and flagged to Russia, shipping databases show. The US official also confirmed that the ship’s crew had painted a Russian flag on the side of the hull.

Earlier Wednesday, open-source maritime tracking sites showed its position as between Scotland and Iceland, travelling north. The US official also confirmed the ship was in the North Atlantic.

US military planes have flown over the vessel, and on Tuesday a Royal Air Force surveillance plane was shown on flight-tracking sites flying over the same area.

Russia’s Foreign Ministry said before the seizure that it was “following with concern the anomalous situation that has developed around the Russian oil tanker Marinera.”

The ministry’s statement, which was carried by the official Tass news agency, added that “for several days now, a US Coast Guard ship has been following the Marinera, even though our vessel is approximately 4,000 km from the American coast.”

In a post to social media, US European Command confirmed that the US Coast Guard cutter Munro tracked the ship ahead of its seizure “pursuant to a warrant issued by a US federal court.”

The military command went on to say that the seizure supported President Donald Trump’s proclamation on targeting sanctioned vessels that “threaten the security and stability of the Western Hemisphere.” The tanker’s seizure comes just days after US military forces conducted a surprise nighttime raid on Venezuela’s capital of Caracas and captured then-President Nicolás Maduro and his wife.

In the wake of this raid, officials in Trump’s Republican administration have said that they intended to continue to seize sanctioned vessels connected to the country.

“We are enforcing American laws with regards to oil sanctions,” Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on NBC on Sunday. “We go to court. We get a warrant. We seize those boats with oil. And that will continue.”(AP)

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Agatha Sangma honoured by Vice-President at TOI summit

Shillong, Feb 21: In a significant honour, former Union...

MMDC coal depot leased for 30 years earns Rs 3 cr

Shillong, Feb 21: The coal depot owned by Meghalaya...

Crackdown on illegal mining: 22 arrested, 12 coal-laden trucks seized in EJ Hills

Shillong, Feb 21: Continuing its crackdown on illegal coal...

Drug peddler in ANTF net

Shillong, Feb 21: A drug peddler was arrested along...

Garo Hills farmers exposed to making of ‘new age fibres’

Shillong, Feb 21: What was once discarded as agricultural...

Mortal remains of Meghalaya MP Ricky Syngkon laid to rest AJ Syngkon

Shillong, Feb 21: The mortal remains of Meghalaya Lok...

India Women beat Australia by 17 runs; clinch historic T20I series victory

Adelaide, Feb 21: An entertaining century partnership between Smriti...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories