Conrad gives clarion call to HNLC to resume talks

Shillong, Jan 15: Chief minister Conrad K Sangma has appealed to the proscribed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) to re-join the negotiation process in order to ensure lasting peace in the state.

The government is absolutely open for peace talks with the outfit, he told reporters after a cabinet meeting here on Wednesday.

“We invite the organization for talks and we are happy to again facilitate the entire process like we did last time,” he said while referring to the first round of peace talks held in 2023.

He said things could not move forward after the outfit had decided to pull out of the peace talks in January last year.

Asserting the need to overcome the challenges, Sangma said, “Hurdles are natural in difficult discussion and negotiation like this but that should not let us down.”

“We want long lasting peace and ensure that all these issues are addressed through discussion within the constitutional framework… and move forward,” he said.

“We are ready to discuss and let us come to the table to talk and whatever concerns that are there, the best to resolve those concerns is through dialogues,” he added.

On the HNLC’s demand for general amnesty, the chief minister said, “This aspect has been discussed many times. From government of India point of view, it has mentioned that we cannot announce that right now, because there are certain cases, laws, rules that are there from the past…”

Clarifying that the state government cannot take a call on general amnesty, he said, “There are certain heinous crimes… We cannot just say everything is off, we cannot do it.”

Meanwhile, he said the government had assured safe passage to the outfit during the period of discussion.

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

31 vehicles damaged during KSU rally: Police  

Rally permitted with undertaking that it would be peaceful  Shillong,...

Varsity toppers from St Edmund’s College felicitated

Shillong, Aug 19: St Edmund’s College whose students shone...

Special drive to remove overhanging cables in Shillong

Shillong, August 19: East Khasi Hills district administration on...

Metbah, Paul dismiss UDP discord, BJP merger speculation

Shillong, Aug 19: UDP chief Metbah Lyngdoh on Wednesday...

Govt urges KSU to come for talks

Shillong, Aug 19: Cabinet Minister and MDA government spokesperson...

Violence erupts during KSU rally in Shillong  

Govt vehicles vandalised, set on fire in city   Shillong, Aug...

EKH village seeks Guv’s assent for EPIC record transfer

Shillong, Aug 19: Residents of Bangla Sohphie have urged...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories