Shillong, Feb 16: In a major crackdown against illegal coal mining, the authorities have dismantled six cranes used in the illegal act and seized six trucks transporting coal, following the mine tragedy claiming 30 lives at Mynsngat–Thangsko in East Jaintia Hills on February 5.
Informing this in the state assembly where the budget session started on Monday, Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma said, “The process of dismantling (machinery used in illegal coal mining) still ongoing.
In his suo moto statement, Sangma also informed that the police have stepped up the use of drones to monitor activities of illegal coal mining.
Meanwhile, the Chief Minister presented the rescue timeline and said 18 bodies were recovered on day one, four on February 6 and two on February 7. Eight injured were pulled out, four of whom later died in hospitals in Shillong and Guwahati.
Two additional deaths reported by families on February 6 were verified. Search operations ended on February 9.
He said ex-gratia payments totalling Rs 24 lakh have been disbursed to eight families, with the rest being processed.
“The process of disbursing ex-gratia relief to the remaining families and next of kin, is under way, with daily communication channel being maintained with the families for getting the requisite details.”
A suo moto FIR has been registered and a Special Investigation Team headed by the DIG (Eastern Range) formed and seven people have been arrested so far.
Separately, 62 FIRs on illegal extraction — 57 after the blast — plus five for illegal transport and two for explosives have yielded 14 arrests total.
Authorities have seized 15,224.72 metric tonnes of coal.
The chief minister informed that the District Task Force, headed by the Deputy Commissioner and comprising Superintendent of Police, DFO (Territorial), District Transport Officer, District Minning Officer and other officials, has been monitoring the incident and taking a concerted effort to curb illegal mining and illegal transportation of coal.
These include seizures of illegally mined coal, recovery of explosives, registration of FIRs, arrests, promulgation of prohibitory orders under Section 163 BNSS, and dismantling of cranes and allied machinery at the site to prevent resumption of illegal mining.
“As per preliminary inputs received the explosion was likely caused by the use of explosive substances during illegal mining operations. The incident resulted in multiple fatalities and injuries, and several persons were feared trapped inside the mine,” he revealed adding, “The nature of the mining site, including unstable ground conditions, confined underground passages, debris, and the presence of machinery and explosives, posed serious risks both to survivors and to rescue personnel.”
Prohibitory orders under BNSS Section 163 now cover mining sites, five raiding teams are active, and six gazetted officers, eight sub-inspectors, and four platoons of armed police have been deputed.
Sangma said the District Task Force continues coordinated enforcement with daily raids and seizures.
He said that even prior to this incident, the District Administration and the Police have been taking action on illegal extraction of coal.
“In 2025, a total 4 no of cases were registered in connection with illegal extraction of coal, which were detected using drones. A total of 11,182 MT of illegal coal was seized, including machinery like cranes and generators, which were used for illegal extraction of coal,” the CM added.



