Shillong, May 18: Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma on Monday announced the postponement of the Meghalaya Teacher Eligibility Test (MTET), which was earlier scheduled to be held on May 29, following appeals from teachers engaged in multiple national assignments.
Addressing a public programme in Damas, the Chief Minister said several teachers had expressed concern over balancing classroom responsibilities alongside Census and SIR-related duties, leaving them with little time to prepare for the examination.
“The teachers are worried and in a dilemma, given their multiple concurrent assignments,” Sangma said. “Considering their concerns, I would like to inform that the MTET examination stands postponed. Teachers need not worry. We will evaluate the overall situation and reschedule a proper, suitable date to ensure they have adequate preparation time.”
The announcement brought relief to hundreds of aspiring candidates and in-service teachers across the state who had been seeking deferment of the eligibility test.
During his address, the Chief Minister also reflected on the broader challenges facing Meghalaya’s education sector. While acknowledging the government’s significant investments in expanding school infrastructure and increasing the number of educational institutions, he admitted that the quality of education still requires major improvement.
“In terms of quantity, we have enough schools, but we are lagging behind in quality,” Sangma remarked, stressing that improving educational standards would require collective efforts from the government, teachers, parents and other stakeholders.
He also lauded educators across the state for their resilience and dedication despite systemic challenges and increasing administrative responsibilities.



