SC stays trial court proceedings against TN minister Durai Murugan in disproportionate-assets case

New Delhi, Apr 1: The Supreme Court on Monday stayed trial-court proceedings against Tamil Nadu minister and DMK general secretary Durai Murugan in a disproportionate-assets case.

A bench of Justices B V Nagarathna and Ujjal Bhuyan issued a notice to the Tamil Nadu government on an appeal filed by Murugan, challenging an order of the Madras High Court.

“There shall be no further proceedings until the next date of hearing. Issue notice returnable on April 20,” the bench said.

The order came after senior advocate Abhishek Singhvi, who represented Murugan in the court, sought a stay on the trial and told the bench that he had been granted similar relief in another case.

The high court, on April 23 last year, directed a special court in Vellore district to frame charges in accordance with law against Murugan and his family members in the disproportionate-assets case.

The high court had passed the order while allowing revision petitions filed by the Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption (DVAC), challenging an order of the special court discharging Duraimurugan and his family members from the case.

The high court judge had said since the check period in the case was between 1996 and 2001, the special court was directed to dispose of the matter within six months by conducting the trial on a day-to-day basis.

The prosecution’s case was that Duraimurugan amassed wealth to the tune of Rs 3.92 crore in his name and in the names of his relatives, disproportionate to his known sources of income, when he held the Public Works Department (PWD) portfolio in the southern state between 1996 and 2001.

On February 23, 2007, the special court discharged Duraimurugan, his wife D Santhakumari, brother Durai Singaram, son D M Kathir Anand (the Lok Sabha MP from Vellore currently) and daughter-in-law K Sangeetha from the case registered in 2002 under the provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act.

Challenging this order, the DVAC filed the revision petitions in March 2012. Allowing the same, Justice Velmurugan of the high court gave the above directives. (PTI)

Hot this week

Pay hike of Assam ministers, MLAs likely as 3-member panel submits report

Full report likely by Oct 30 Guwahati Sept 25: There...

Meghalaya Biological Park Inaugurated After 25 Years: A New Chapter in Conservation and Education

Shillong, Nov 28: Though it took nearly 25 years...

ANSAM rejects Kuki’s separate administration demand, says bifurcation not acceptable

Guwahati, Sept 8: Rejecting the separate administration demand of...

Meghalaya man missing in Bangkok

Shillong, Jan 10: A 57-year-old Meghalaya resident, Mr. Treactchell...

Meghalaya’s historic fiber paves the way for eco-friendly products and sustainable livelihoods

By Roopak Goswami Shillong, Oct 25: From making earbuds to...

Proposals for new border haats, LCS at Centre’s court

Shillong, May 18: Several proposals to set up new...

Centre assures of action to remove export hurdles

Shillong, May 18: Union Minister for Commerce & Industries...

Citizens residing abroad asked to register in state database

Shillong, May 18: In a bid to streamline crisis...

Certain groups taking credit for Govt’s devp works: CM  

‘Work on separate poll roll for GHADC under way’   Shillong,...

No role in judicial decision: NPP hits out at BJP leader

Shillong, May 18: The National People’s Party (NPP) has...

Lapangap issue taken up by Meghalaya, Assam CMs: Dhar

Shillong, May 18: The tension prevailing in border village...

Garo Hills villagers shy away from diabetes, BP screening: Study

Many villagers fear screening because they worry a diagnosis...

BJP shortlists four aspirants for Shillong LS bypoll

Shillong, May 18: The state Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories