‘Over 3,000 Assam-registered vehicles safely escorted to Assam’
Shillong, Aug 22: Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar has assured that normalcy would return to Shillong soon as both Meghalaya and Assam had a “very positive meeting” on Saturday.
The joint meeting between the governments of Meghalaya and Assam was held on Saturday in Guwahati to review the August-19 violence during a KSU-sponsored bike rally in the city.
With instructions from Chief Ministers of both the states, the meeting was led by Dhar and Assam Cabinet Minister Atul Bora along with senior officials of both states.
“Today was a very positive meeting,” Dhar told reporters after the meeting.
He said the Meghalaya government has expressed sincere regret over the August-19 incidents and assured strict action.
He said the president, vice-president and general secretary of the Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) have been arrested under the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act, and 15 FIRs have been registered so far.
Five masked persons involved in attacks on Assam-registered vehicles have been identified, and a Special Investigation Team has been constituted to identify all miscreants and take action as per law, he said.
Dhar said over 3,000 Assam-registered vehicles have been safely escorted to Assam so far.
While the Assam control room received 54 distress calls involving 75 persons, including occupants of two private and five tourist vehicles, the Meghalaya control room received 379 calls and all have been assisted.
Most stranded vehicles, including 400-500 sheltered at Meghalaya House, have crossed transit corridors, and any remaining will be escorted within 48 hours, he said.
Key decisions include setting up a coordination mechanism between IG Special Branch, Assam and IG Law & Order, Meghalaya with helpline support till normalcy returns, formation of a district-level joint committee of DCs and police of Nongpoh and Kamrup Metro to resolve border issues, and a transport committee comprising Commissioner & Secretary level officers and tourist vehicle associations to regulate movement and protect shared tourism interests.
Both states will ensure safe transit for vehicles from Barak Valley to other parts of Assam via Meghalaya and vice versa, Dhar said.
He added that the Meghalaya government will take responsibility for the safety of tourists and vehicles entering the state and announced compensation for victims as per law after examination by the Chief Secretary.
“We have assigned this to our Chief Secretary who will examine the matter and we will compensate as per law. As far as those who were injured, we will compensate from the government.”
Appealing for calm, Dhar said, “Assam and Meghalaya are living like brother and sister. Yes, there may be some lapses but whatever it may be, our duty as government is to work very hard and unitedly and the purpose of this meeting is to bring normalcy. I request the people of Meghalaya and Assam to be cool and calm so that normalcy returns to Shillong.”
Assam Cabinet Minister Atul Bora said the meeting was held as per the direction of Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma.
“As per direction of Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma, we have had a meeting with the Deputy Chief Minister of Meghalaya and other officials of both states. We had a long meeting, three hours of discussion and we discussed concerns of both Chief Ministers and we will be issuing a joint press release,” Bora said.
“I would like to give my sincere thanks to both Chief Ministers – Himanta Biswa Sarma for his strong action and Conrad K Sangma for his willingness to resolve the issue,” he added.



